Saturday, January 22, 2011

Leeenux 3.0 on Asus eeepc 701/4g

Trawling the net for an appropriate linux distribution for my eeepc was a mission. Not knowing anything about open source os'es except that it sounds like a cool idea was all i had to start with. I was overwhelmed. Eeebuntu? OpenGeeeu? Easypeasy? Unity? - it all got a bit much. But i stumbled across a review on http://gadgetmix.com/articles/leeenux-review/ and decided to give Leeenux 3.0 a go.

Creating a bootable usb using unetbootin seemed simple enough but i found more success with Lili USB creator. I had problems with the former - not sure if it was unable to unpackage the iso or what but Lili just made it easy. After that - the installation procedure was straightforward using only 1.6gb of space.

I had a toned down windows xp installed to replace the stock xandros that came with the eeepc as i just had too many problems with wifi connectivity. unfortunately windows xp is well...windows xp. so replacing it with Leeenux would be an upgrade.

So far so good. I think it uses gnome so the desktop environment will be familiar to ubuntu users - correct me if i am wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! asus q551lnbbi706 laptop

    ReplyDelete